- Birthdate: October 28, 1962
- Birthplace: Nha Trang, Vietnam
- Resides: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Nicknames: The Train, The Prince of Poker
Scotty Nguyen arrived in the US from his native Vietnam at the age of 14. He claims that he and 16 other people spent 23 days on a boat trying to get from Vietnam to Thailand, after being chased by Communist police. With only enough supplies for two days, the boat’s occupants had made plans to eat Nguyen’s 12-year-old brother on the 22nd day, but luckily they were rescued the next day.
Nguyen won his first bracelet at the 1997 World Series of Poker (WSOP) $2 000 Omaha 8 or Better, winning $156 950.
He nearly made the final table of the 2007 World Series of Poker Main Event, finishing 11th out of 6 358 and earning $476 926.
To date, Nguyen has 34 money finishes at the WSOP.
World Poker Tour And Other Tournaments
Nguyen won his first World Poker Tour (WPT) event in 2006, beating Michael “The Grinder” Mizrachi in the fourth season Gold Strike World Poker Open.
This made him one of only 5 people ever to win the World Series of Poker Main Event as well as a WPT title.
Including his 2006 victory, Nguyen has made 8 final table appearances at the WPT and has finished in the money 12 times.
Nguyen also boasts two World Poker Open titles at Foxwoods and several Legends of Poker titles.
As of February 2008, Nguyen’s total live tournament winnings exceed $7.6 million.
Scotty Nguyen Trivia
- Between 2000 and 2004, Nguyen finished in the money in over 100 events
- He is known for saying things like “baby” and “dear baby” during play. He coined the phrase “That’s poker baby”, in reference to a bad beat
- Nguyen does not wear his 1998 WSOP championship bracelet, because his brother was hit and killed by a car in Vietnam the next day
- In 2004, Nguyen appeared on Late Night with Conan O’Brien
- He also co-starred in the 2003 poker movie, “The Big Blind”.